Stonham Brewery and The Brewers Arms (AKA The Stonham Tap)
John Hunt Cuthbert, Brewer, Maltster, Corn Merchant and Brick & Tile Maker was at Stonham Parva in 1844; by 1855 he had been joined by J. K. Sedgewick when they traded under the name "Cuthbert & Sedgewick, Brewers, Maltster and Corn Merchants". In 1864 John Keen Sidgewick (sic) only was at the Stonham Brewery. By 1868 he had left and his place was taken by John Goodwin, Brewer and Wine and Spirit Merchant, who also had stores at Mansion House Buildings, Westgate Street, Ipswich. In this same year Benjamin Dawson, Maltster, wsa at Stowupland Street near Stowmarket. By 1874 Edwin Dawson, "Maltster and Brewer at Burton On Trent", had replaced Benjamin Dawson at Stowupland, as well as having stores or offices at 92 Corn Exchange, Ipswich. E. P. Dawson were brewing at the Stonham Brewery by 1885; they also had Maltings at Bury Street, Stowmarket. This Company was still brewing in 1888, but had ceased by 1892. They continued to be listed as Maltsters in the 1892 Directory of Brewers and Maltsters. There is no reference to Dawson in 1896. The Maltings continued to be used until recently, and the buildings are still standing.
(The Burton & Lincoln Breweries Ltd. was registered on 11th December 1889 to purchase the brewery business of Edwin Popplewell Dawson at Burton On Trent and Henry James Buckmaster at Lincoln. The Company went into voluntary liquidation on 2nd December 1898.1
NOTE From Suzie: Due to boundary changs over the years, The Stonham Brewery and The Stonham Tap have appeared within the Parish Boundaries of both Stonham Aspal & Stonham Parva (Little Stonham). Currently it is in the Parish of Stonham Parva.
2
This image is of the Stonham Aspal Brass Band, outside The Brewers Arms. William Last, the Band Master, is seated in the Front Row, Far Left.
The original black and white images above have been digitally enhanced.