Cooks Windmill (AKA Stonham Aspal or Mill Green Windmill)


Map of Stonham Aspal Windmll, 1884

The circle marked in red shows the location of the Cooks Windmill in Mill Green, as shown on the Ordnance Survey Map from 1884.


Stonham Aspal Windmll, c 1908

The above photo was originally taken in 1908 as a black & white Postcard.


Stonham Aspal Windmll, c 1972

The above photo was originally taken in black & white in 1972 by Peter C J Dolman for his book "Windmills in Suffolk: A Contemporary Survey"; Published in 1972 by the Suffolk Mills Group.

NOTE From Suzie: The two black and white images above have been digitally enhanced.


Cooks Windmill was a Corn Mill. This was originally a small Post Mill with roundhouse, the upper structure was demolished in 1909. The roundhouse remained as a store. There were two patent and two common sails, two pairs of stones in the head and a tailpole.1

According to the Tithe Apportionments of 1836, The "Mill and Yard" were owned by Mark Moyse and occupied by John Cook.

After the death of John Cook in 1846, the Mill was run by his wife, Elizabeth, and in the 1851 Census she is described as a "Corn Miller & Farmer" and she also employed two servants, one of whom, William Walnes, was described as "Working Corn Mill".


Citations

  1. [S1895] Peter C J Dolman, Windmills In Suffolk: A Contemporary Survey, Page 28 & Page 47.