World War 1 & 2

Stonham Aspal

The Stonham Aspal War Memorial was unveiled on 27th June 1920. It was dedicated by Rev. Canon C D Lawrence and unveiled by Rev. T A Wonnacot. It is sited in the Church of St. Mary & St. Lambert, the Parish Church of Stonham Aspal.

It is described as a large white marble tablet in a black marble frame, with a smaller tablet below in the same from for WW2. 1 The Makers were Mr. Ernest Death & Sons of Bildeston.

An account of the unveiling was covered by the East Anglian Daily Times, on 29th June 1920.

The unveiling at the end of WW2 was covered by the Diss Express, on 15th November 1946.

Citations

  1. [S315] Website IWM War Memorials Archive (http://www.ukniwm.org.uk).

1914-1918
To the Glory of God
and in loving memory of
the men of Stonham Aspal
who fell in the Great War.

Frederick C Allum Machine Gun Corps
George A Brunning 5th Warwickshire
Cyril S Buckles Royal Garrison Artillery
Reginald D Challis 2nd Suffolks
Bertie E Chilvers 12th Middlesex
Arthur W Hall 7th City Of London Fusiliers
Walter W Peck 11th Suffolks
Percy E Studd 7th Suffolks
Arthur C Taylor 10th Royal Fusiliers

"Honour to whom honour
is due"


In Loving Memory of those from the Parish
who fell in the World War 1939 - 1945

Reginald Barnard Duke Of Wellington Regt.
Fred Buckingham Royal Navy
Reginald Jolly Royal Navy
Dennis West Northumberland Fusiliers