The World Wars
Most of the details for the fallen in WW1 and WW2 are taken from the CWGC Website, however in order to identify which is the correct person, I have cross-referenced data using information from a number of sources, including:
- the information on the War Memorial
- the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Website
- the Suffolk County Council "Roll Of Honour" Website (for WW1)
- the "Soldiers Died In The Great War" Database, available on CD and also on Ancestry.co.uk.
- assistance in identifying some of "the fallen" is gratefully acknowledged from Robert Austin of Badwell Ash.
- assistance in identifying Bertie Broom is gratefully acknowledged from Peter Carter & Stuart Bufton of Debenham.
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission has its own Search Engine, however, even though this has been recently re-vamped to make it more flexible, it is still not as good as Geoff's:
The Debenham War Memorial was originally sited at the Institute in Gracechurch Street, but was moved into the Churchyard of St. Mary Magdalene when the Institute was sold.