Long Service Medal
The Long Service and Good Conduct Medal was established in 1830.
Physical Description - The medal is silver and is 36mm in diametre. Until 1901 the medal's obverse contained an image of a trophy of arms with the Royal Arms in an oval shield in the centre while the reverse side contained the inscription "For Long Service and Good Conduct". The King William IV issue had the Royal Coat of Arms with the badge of Hanover on the obverse and a small suspension ring with a plain crimson ribbon. The small ring was replaced by a larger version in 1831. When Queen Victoria succeeded to the throne in 1837 the Hanover emblem was removed from the medal's obverse. In 1855, during the Crimean War, a swivelling scroll suspension was introduced similar to that on the Crimea Medal, followed in 1874 by small lettering replacing the original large lettering on the reverse side.
On the succession of King Edward VII to the throne in 1901, the effigy of the reigning sovereign was placed on the medal's obverse. The reverse side remained unchanged, while in 1920 the swivelling scroll suspension was replaced by a fixed suspender.
In 1930 the title of the medal was changed to the Long Service and Good Conduct (Military) Medal. It was also decided to add a fixed suspension bar bearing the text "Regular Army" or the name of a dominion country: Australia, New Zealand, Canada, India or South Africa
The medal was originally awarded to soldiers of good conduct who had completed 21 years service in the infantry or 24 years in the cavalry. In 1870, this qualifying period was reduced to 18 years for both the infantry and cavalry. During World War II officers could also be awarded this medal if they had completed at least 12 of their 18 years service in the ranks.
The rim has the recipient's service number, rank, name and unit impressed on it.
The following local people received the Long Service Medal.