United Reformed Church
Return from the 1851 Census Of Religious Worship
Front Street. Erected before 1800. Sittings free 350, others 650. Present morning 300 + 118 scholars; afternoon 540 + 124 scholars; evening 358. Average (12 months) morning 500 + 128 scholars; afternoon 650 + 138 scholars; evening 500. Remarks the minister being absent through indisposition, normal evening service was not held. There is a Bible Class, Singing Class, Clothing Club, and Lending Library connected with Sabbath school and young people of congregation, and a Book Society for benefit of adult members of congregation. Signed N. M. Steptoe, Deacon; H. Abbott, Samuel Drury, witnesses. (8)
Birth and Baptism register dates from 1706; old meeting house there in 1788; new chapel's foundation stone laid 1820. Affiliated to Suffolk Congregational Union.1
- [S64] T. C. B. Timmins, editor, Suffolk Returns From The Census Of Religious Worship, 1851 (PO Box 9, Woodbridge, Suffolk IP12 3DF: Suffolk Records Society, 1997). Hereinafter cited as 1851 Census Of Religious Worship.